Tuesday 19 May 2009

What I had for tea tonight

Hmm, looks pretty ordinary...

...the season lasts for just 5 weeks until the begining of June, the usual crap applies; life's too short, nudge yourself and break the bank...

...Hix charges six quid each as a starter, whereas they're four quid each at...

...not this one, but you know which one I mean...

...about two and half times larger than a quail's egg and four sevenths of a battery hen's egg...

...purely as an insurance for the umami dept., a titchy fillet of the finest smoked eel...
...start to de-shell the boiled egg (worth noting that the shell is annoyingly more delicate than what we're used to)...

...and there you have it, dinner with an immeasurably low carbon footprint (by today's standards) as all three of the main ingredients are English (not British please!). Like most things sourced from home, this dinner was flipping expensive (and no carbs included to ensure one is satisfactorily full). The Wye Valley asparagus cost three quid for two bunches from Marks (outrageous value). Can I just add that I'm pretty deft at making soft boiled eggs and the asparagus were perfectly cooked (unlike Hawksmoor)- I'm that good. What did the eggs taste like, let's just say that I'm surprised the Japanese haven't caught hold of them- how about seaweedy flavoured eggs sound? By enlarge I'm happy that I've been there and done that!

I'm of course talking about Gulls Eggs
If there are a zillion eggs in a 12oz jar of Beluga caviar, then the gull's egg qualifiy as the most expensive eating egg I've ever eaten.

7 comments:

Hollow Legs said...

Surely that's a starter?

And how are the gulls eggs in comparison to, say, quails eggs?

bellaphon said...

Starter and mains, there were a lot of asparagus spears mind you. I find quails eggs bland. To be honest a good fresh duck's egg, simply poached, is the best IMO.

kerstin said...

Gulls? Is that like seagulls?
I once ate ostrich egg. It was horrible, all oily.

bellaphon said...

Yes. In Brighton, they're known as flying rats.

Helen said...

So, what's different about the gulls eggs then? Why are they so special? (I've never eaten one).

bellaphon said...

Helen- Not enough licences are given to 'harvest' the eggs, hence the hyped phenomenon and suitably inflated price tag. Actually they do taste very nice.

Anonymous said...

ohhh....i have been dreaming of soft boiled eggs and asparagus for a while now.....